Services To Youth
The Services to Youth facet uses an integrated approach to prepare young people to succeed as healthy citizens in the global workforce and to promote healthy lifestyles within families and communities.
In support of The Links’ mission to enrich and enhance the lives of black youth, the primary goals of this facet are to:
- Close the achievement gap from pre-K through college, with the intent of preparing our youth for the global workforce as healthy citizens
- Promote the integration of a health and wellness component focused on youth, families and communities in our Services to Youth programs
- Develop training modules for local pre-K through college mentoring programs, to ascertain a high level of support for youth in our communities
- Expand and support science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education and promote the integration of the arts (STEM to STEAM)
- Promote and support historically black colleges and universities for ensured sustainability
Oakland County (MI) Services to Youth Initiatives
Pontiac Middle School Students Learn About K.A.R.E.
What’s An Engineer Program
4th Graders at Birney K-8 Elementary Learn Lessons from Wakanda
Fourth grade NSBE Jr. participating students at Southfield’s Birney K-8 were introduced to an interactive STEAM exercise, educating them about various engineering fields. The program highlighted the various ways that engineering was present in the fictional world of Wakanda as created for the movie Black Panther. A demonstration activity had students build boats that could float while carrying a load of the movie’s precious metal, vibranium (psst! they used pennies!)
Teams Designing & Building Boats, and Celebrating the Winners